- Industry calls on Government to support emerging sustainable aviation fuels sector by committing £500m to early stage projects
- Combined with action on aircraft and engine technology R&D, airspace modernisation and carbon offset and removal, the UK could build a world leading green aviation sector
- Will help contribute to a wider UK green recovery, helping the UK bounce back from Covid-19
In a letter to the Transport Secretary, the Sustainable Aviation coalition has called for UK aviation to be at the heart of the Government’s economic recovery strategy, saying that a joined-up approach to decarbonising aviation will enable the country to rapidly bounce back from Covid-19.
To achieve this, Sustainable Aviation has called on Government to capitalise on the UK’s world leading position on sustainable aviation fuel technology by committing £500m to support early stage projects. This follows news last week that Europe’s first municipal waste-to-jet fuel facility – Altalto Immingham – was granted planning permission in North East Lincolnshire.
The coalition also called for Government to work with industry to:
- Develop aircraft and engine technology R&D capabilities, ensuring the UK is among the first in the world to develop hybrid and electric aircraft;
- Accelerate UK airspace modernisation, to make use of new aircraft performance capability and reduce emissions and noise; and
- Progress robust carbon offset measures and carbon removal technologies.
Adam Morton, Chair of Sustainable Aviation, said:
“In February this year, UK aviation committed to net zero emissions by 2050 and laid out a plan to achieve this through investing in cleaner aircraft and engine technology, smarter flight operations, sustainable aviation fuels and high-quality carbon offsets and removals.
“Three months on, these actions all remain essential to delivering sector wide decarbonisation, particularly given the role UK aviation can play as an engine for rebuilding the economy. But to capitalise on these opportunities we need urgent action from Government, particularly to support the commercialisation of sustainable aviation fuel technology in the UK.”
Notes to Editors
Sustainable.Aviation@fieldconsulting.co.uk or 0203 953 6664
About Sustainable Aviation:
Sustainable Aviation is the coalition of UK airlines, airports, aerospace manufacturers and air navigation service providers committed to cutting aviation’s environmental impact and building a world leading aviation sector.
More information on Sustainable Aviation can be found on their website here.
About Sustainable Aviation’s net zero commitment and Road-Maps:
To read more about Sustainable Aviation’s net zero commitment made in February 2020 please click here.